1.17.2014

German Meatballs

Today was the second time making this. Both times I made them slightly different so maybe someday I'll get it perfect. The first time I didn't have pork so it was made with just beef -1.5 pounds - just to be fair. The second time I substituted the pork for German sausage from the butcher. Yum. (I also may or may not have the lemon juice and peel on hand when I cook these things.) And for the life of me I can't remember if I added the eggs to the meatballs this time. Oh my goodness, I need help. It still tasted really good!

1 1 inch slice bread
1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter or margarine


2 beaten eggs
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork or German sausage
3 tablespoons snipped parsley

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon paprika
 - I use 1/2 tsp to add more flavor
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg


 - again 1/2 tsp
3 cups beef broth



1 cup cold water

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Hot cooked noodles, rice or spaetzle

In a large mixing bowl, soak bread in enough milk to cover it.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook onion in butter until onion is tender, but not brown. Press milk from bread, discarding milk.
In large bowl, combine bread, eggs, beef, pork, parsley, salt, Worcestershire sauce, peel, juice, paprika, nutmeg, and onion mixture. Mix lightly with your hands. Form into meatballs.
In large skillet, bring broth to boiling. Add meatballs. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until meatballs are done (160 degree F).
With a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to a serving bowl and keep warm.
Skim fat from cooking liquid. Reserve 2-1/2 cups cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary.
Mix cold water and flour. Stir into reserved cooking liquid. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook 1 minute. Pour over meatballs. Serve with hot noodles, rice or spaetzle. Top with additional snipped parsley. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Next time I will be adding mushrooms to the sauce and per my hubby's suggestion a scoop of sour cream. The ultimate German thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

talk back!