10.03.2010

Fluffy Biscuits

ok, so everyone panics at some point right? I did with this recipe. I stirred in all the ingredients and it looked really wet for all the biscuit dough I've seen. I added flour. Don't do it!
There are many quirks to this recipe and they will be featured below the recipe!

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2/3 cup milk

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead a few times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

So I used butter instead of shortening (because I don't have shortening) but the best way is to use half shortening half butter!
Also, don't knead them too much. Gently pat down and gently roll out.
Brush the top with butter, apparently it helps them rise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

talk back!