9.17.2014

Gluten Free Banana Bread

This recipe is stolen borrowed from Minimalist Baker. I have been trying to cut back on Gluten in my diet as more and more family members seem to be getting the lovely diagnosis of Celiac. And I have a lot to learn... After not needing to cook/bake Gluten Free for the past 8 years or so, I have a lot of catching up to do. I know enough basics to cook around it when I need to but alas I still forget things like adding xanthan gum in with the flour. I even looked at the side of the flour mix to see what I needed to add and then completely forgot. Blaming this on the pregnancy brain, because I can. 





One Bowl Gluten Free Banana Bread (VEGAN OPTIONAL)


Ingredients:
3 medium ripe bananas (~1.5 cups)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 egg (or sub 1 chia or flax egg)
3 Tbsp grape seed or coconut oil, melted (I used coconut oil)
1/4 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2-3 Tbsp honey, depending on ripeness of bananas
3.5 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup almond or dairy milk
1 1/4 cup almond meal** 
1 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend 
1 1/4 cup gluten free oats
(and I added mini chocolate chips, because every pregnant lady needs chocolate)


Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
  2. Mash banana in a large bowl. Add all ingredients through almond milk and whisk vigorously to combine. Last add almond meal, gluten free flour blend and oats and stir.
  3. Bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes. When ready, it should feel firm and be crackly and golden brown on top.
  4. Let cool completely before cutting or it will be too tender to hold form.
  5. Serve with butter and honey or as is. Store leftovers in a covered container for up to a few days. Slice and freeze for longer term storage.
**I didn't have this so I just used all-purpose gluten free flour for all of it- so a total of 2.5 cups, and I should have remembered to add Xanthan gum. Oops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

talk back!